Organization: Centre for Infectious Disease Research in Zambia
Closing date: 17 Feb 2017
Reports to Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The incumbent develops a strong understanding of the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) national strategic plans for health, new developments that could affect CIDRZ, and global developments relating to the Sustainable Development Goals and trends in donor investments. S/he works closely with the CEO in the engagement and building of strategic relationships with the GRZ donor agencies, CIDRZ donor agencies, non-governmental partners, civil society groups including faith-based organisations, and the media.
- Provides high-level directional and strategic input into CIDRZ business development activities, including around partnerships and development of consortia.
- Drives the CIDRZ strategic planning process, including measurement of progress against strategic objectives and departmental accountability for results, and ensures that CIDRZ is meeting its mission.
- Understands the risks facing the organisation, and works closely with Executive Committee (EXCO) members, the Board of Directors and outside parties to put into place effective risk mitigation strategies.
- Works in collaboration with EXCO members to ensure the effectiveness and compliance of operational, programmatic and research arms of the organisation.
- Directly oversees the Business Development and Grants and Contracts units and provides support to the CEO in the management of direct reports, as assigned.
- Sets an annual communications plan with the Communications unit and ensures timely completion of high quality external communications and regular internal communication.
- Sets effective agendas for and co-chairs monthly meetings of the Leadership Team, and bi-weekly meetings of the EXCO.
- Provides internal “management consultations” for troubled units or managers.
- Serves as a signatory for financial agreements between CIDRZ, donor organisations, and subcontractors.
- Participates in the development and implementation of innovative clinical, epidemiological, and operational research studies, designed to address key issues identified by the Zambian Ministry of Health (MOH).
- Supports the development and implementation of policies that ensure CIDRZ representation at the policy level, including in key Technical Working Groups supported by the MOH and other Ministries.
- Supports the CEO and broader organisation in meeting programmatic, research, training and policy mission, as required.
- Minimum of 8 years’ Management Consulting/Senior Executive management experience
- Postgraduate degree; preferably MBA, MPH and/or PhD, MD
- Proven results-oriented leader, with high-level skills in organisational management, able to manage and create clarity in a complex environment
- Experience managing effectively in a multi-cultural setting
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills are a prerequisite
- Experience in healthcare delivery, management and research is preferred
- Experience managing program and research grants is preferred
How to apply:
Suitably qualified candidates are invited to apply; however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please send application letter quoting Reference Number above, relevant academic and professional certificates, and detailed CV with day-time telephone number(s) to:
CIDRZ Human Resources Director PO Box 34681, LUSAKA or email: email@example.com