Closing date: 30 Nov 2017
Reporting to the Project Director, the Epidemiology and Surveillance Advisor will support ICAP’s proposed Strengthening the Quality, Capacity, and Utilization of Health-related Data for Programmatic Planning and Policy Decision-making to Support the Government and PEPFAR-funded Partners in the Republic of Zambia under PEPFAR project. S/he will provide technical assistance and capacity building to the Zambia MOH, CDC and stakeholders in the design of evaluation and surveillance activities as well as in data analysis to improve capacity to inform policy and decision-making. Note: this position is contingent upon receipt of award and donor approval.
- Support the needs assessment process including identifying areas and recommendations for improvements
- Develop a strategic work plan for surveillance capacity strengthening in collaboration with the national and sub national stakeholders
- Provide technical support for the collection, analysis and interpretation of data and the calculation of demographic and epidemiological indicators,
- Contribute to the design of protocols for epidemiological surveys, their implementation, analysis and dissemination of results and development of conclusions and recommendations,
- Participate in the quality control of epidemiological surveillance subsystems, so that they can provide early warning signals to respond to epidemics and epidemic outbreaks,
- Collaborate in the analysis of surveys, studies and investigations
- Monitor collection and contribute to the analysis and interpretation of data and the calculation of indicators for specific HIV prevention and control programs,
- Contribute to the analysis of correlations between coverage rates and disease incidence rates,
- Contribute to the identification and analysis of trends and risk factors by area and population group and to compare data from Zambia to international data, especially those from neighboring countries,
- Develop standard operating procedures (SOPs) and reporting mechanisms for the surveillance system
- Review and enhance systems for the analysis, interpretation, and utilization of surveillance data for policy making
- Engage in discussions with HMIS advisors to ensure integrated systems and data utilization
- Provide technical assistance to the monitoring process and quality of program activities
- Support and facilitate workshops related to surveillance
- Facilitate the dissemination of documents of statistical information
- Participate in formative supervision visits, in particular with regard to the epidemiological and surveillance studies,
- Transfer knowledge and skills and in the ongoing training of Zambian counterparts,
- Participate in the organization and facilitation of seminars, brainstorming workshops and workshops within their field of competence, whenever this is required,
- Present on subjects within the framework of tasks, using classical methods of presentation (overhead projector and slide projectors and opaque), as well as electronic methods (PowerPoint presentations),
- Prepare periodic reports of activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree or preferably PhD in Epidemiology, strategic information, international development or other related field.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, AND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- At least 8 years of experience working in epidemiology,
- At least 5 years of work experience in developing countries,
- Experience in the collection, analysis and interpretation of data and in the calculation of demographic and epidemiological indicators,
- Experience in the design of protocols for epidemiological surveys, their implementation and dissemination of results,
- Experience in collecting data analysis and interpretation and calculating indicators for specific disease prevention and control programs,
- Experience in identifying and analyzing trends and risk factors by area and population group,
- Experience in collecting data analysis and interpretation and calculating indicators of availability of resources, effectiveness, utilization and hospital income,
- Experience in transferring knowledge and skills through seminars, brainstorms and workshops,
- Experience in word processing, use of spreadsheets (including graphing), database use, e-mail communication and Internet research,
- Skills and abilities in the practical use of Epi-Info, SPSS, Excel, and Access,
- Fluency in English, both spoken and written
NOTE: This is a local hire position (i.e., candidates must be eligible to work in Zambia) and the successful candidate will be an employee of ICAP or its partners in Zambia and subject to the local terms and conditions of employment which includes a competitive salary and benefits package.
How to apply:
- Please submit a Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com.
- Please indicate the job title “Epidemiology and Surveillance Advisor” in the email subject line.