Organization: Catholic Medical Mission Board
Country: Haiti, Kenya, Peru, South Sudan, Zambia
Closing date: 26 Jan 2018
Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Specialists support the implementation of WASH projects by working with the community health workers with the aim of reducing health risks for affected populations in the areas of water, sanitation and hygiene. The WASH Specialist is both expected to be able to give specialized technical support, conduct situational analyses in the field and take sectorial leadership. Furthermore, education of both affected or displaced populations and staff will be critical.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develop tailored sanitation and hygiene strategies and marketing approaches to improve demand and supply for improved sanitation and hygiene products and services based on a regional context.
· Ensure regional level WASH activities are performed, implemented and expanded with consistent approaches and quality, in accordance with national and global policies and best practices.
· Ensure that effective engagement is maintained with communities and with local government partners, to ensure responsive and sustainable programming.
· Review technical documents and other deliverables to ensure alignment with overall project strategy.
· Develop or review relevant guidelines, materials, trainings, job aids and tools to ensure the technical strategies are reflected accurately.
· Advise on and monitor technical quality of deliverables associated with sustained water and sanitation services and adoption of key hygiene behaviors.
· Advise partners on all technical aspects of WASH activities implementation, ensuring a unified and effective approach to achieving project milestones.
· Identify and collate evidence base of promising practices and support dissemination workshops to improve existing practices and introduce new practices and/or ideas among partners and key stakeholders
· Provides technical assistance to develop and implement communication strategies and materials, through all phases from formative research, through design, media and materials production, community mobilization and evaluation.
· Participate in relevant technical working groups and forums at the national, regional and global level.
· Volunteer should be comfortable with performing a range of tasks outside of their SOW, when needed
· Other duties as requested by supervisor and/or CMMB staff
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in Environmental Science, Hydrology or Environmental, Civil, Water Resources, Irrigation, Sanitary or Mechanical Engineering, Public Health or a related field associated with water supply, sanitation and hygiene behavior change.
· Preference for experience in:
o One year of experience in health care environment or community involvement, in developing countries
o Implementing community water system facility development, including multiple water use services
o Implementing Community Led Total Sanitation and hygiene programming and training staff
o Behavior change materials development
o Sanitation marketing
· Good interpersonal skills and ability to develop relationships and collaborate with local community members
· Demonstrated strong technical programming skills.
· Knowledge of professional and ethical standard of public health practice
· Ability and willingness to provide guidance to staff members
· Familiarity and interested in global health issues, especially maternal and child health issues
· Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills; strong problem-solving skills
· Ability to be flexible and prioritize projects and tasks effectively; self-starter; takes initiative
· Problem solver, able to identify needs, and develop solutions
· Computer skills in Word, Excel, and other Microsoft Office tools.
· Willingness to endure resource-limited working conditions and evening/weekend hours
· Proficiency in English; strong communication skills
· Spanish fluency required for Peru
· Haitian Kreyol or French required for Haiti
How to apply:
Apply online at https://cmmb.org/volunteer-interest-form/.