Organization: American Institutes for Research
Closing date: 08 Feb 2018
Community Engagement Advisor, Zambia READ
AIR is a US-based not-for-profit company specializing in education programming, educational assessment, and other social policy issues. AIR’s International Development Program seeks to enhance the capacity of people in developing countries to improve their quality of life through education and social development. We have worked in collaboration with local and international stakeholders in more than 80 countries over the past three decades. We seek to ensure children’s equitable access to all levels of education; improve the quality and relevance of education; and empower individuals, communities, and institutions as agents of social and behavioral change.
AIR is seeking a Community Engagement Advisor to work on an expected 5 year, USAID-funded Reading Project in Zambia. Let’s Read Zambia will target approximately 1.4 million students in 4,000 public and community primary schools, including Early Childhood Centers that are clustered in an estimated 400 zones in 48 districts in the provinces of Lusaka, Southern, Muchinga, Eastern, and Northwestern. The Activity will ensure that students attending Grades 1, 2, and 3 in Zambian public and community schools in five targeted provinces will have an opportunity to learn to read grade level text with comprehension and to write at grade level in one of the seven local official languages of instruction: Cinyanja, Chitonga, Icibemba, Kiikaonde, Lunda, Luvale and Silozi after three years of primary schooling in Grades 1-3.
The Community Engagement Advisor will provide leadership and technical assistance in community engagement activities to implement better education initiatives within the Zambian education system and to build local community champions for literacy. This will include:
· Developing and implementing a strategy for involvement of local communities, schools, local educational authority and the project into improving education in Zambia with specific focus on literacy
· Developing public private partnerships
· Working closely with community partners and maintain an active network of community-based and other local and national organizations with whom the project is partnering to increase awareness of, advocacy for, and access to improved education services
· Working closely with community leaders and school teachers to promote their active participation at all levels in strengthening linkages with community-based organizations and activities as well as with other key stakeholders
Eligibility: Zambian nationals are encouraged to apply.
This position is contingent on funding.
· Bachelor’s degree in education, community development, or any field related degree relevant to the broad areas of community engagement
· At least 7 years’ experience designing, implementing, and managing large, complex, community engagement programs in the field of education
· Experience working within government education systems or in close collaboration with Ministries of Education
· Demonstrated competence in assessing priorities and in managing a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment, and in meeting deadlines with attention to detail and quality
· Strategic thinker with people skills and managerial, coordination, and organizational skills
· Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking
· Experience working in the education sector in Africa, particularly in Zambia is preferred
· Sound knowledge of USAID rules and regulations
· Proficiency in English is required
How to apply:
Please apply and submit your resume here: https://jobs-airdc.icims.com/jobs/10274/community-engagement-advisor%2c-zambia-read/job –<