Organization: American Institutes for Research
Closing date: 08 Feb 2018
AIR is a US-based not-for-profit company specializing in education programming, educational assessment, and other social policy issues. AIR’s International Development Program seeks to enhance the capacity of people in developing countries to improve their quality of life through education and social development. We have worked in collaboration with local and international stakeholders in more than 80 countries over the past three decades. We seek to ensure children’s equitable access to all levels of education; improve the quality and relevance of education; and empower individuals, communities, and institutions as agents of social and behavioral change.
AIR is seeking an Early Childhood Education Advisor to work on an expected 5 year, USAID-funded Reading Project in Zambia. Let’s Read Zambia will target approximately 1.4 million students in 4,000 public and community primary schools, including Early Childhood Centers that are clustered in an estimated 400 zones in 48 districts in the provinces of Lusaka, Southern, Muchinga, Eastern, and Northwestern. The Activity will ensure that students attending Grades 1, 2, and 3 in Zambian public and community schools in five targeted provinces will have an opportunity to learn to read grade level text with comprehension and to write at grade level in one of the seven local official languages of instruction: Cinyanja, Chitonga, Icibemba, Kiikaonde, Lunda, Luvale and Silozi after three years of primary schooling in Grades 1-3. Pre-primary (Kindergarten) students in all of the targeted provinces will develop oral language skills and emergent literacy skills to prepare them for successful literacy acquisition when they enter Grade 1.
The Early Childhood Education Advisor will be responsible for the design, implementation and monitoring of ECE activities on the program. This will include:
· Provide technical programming, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation support to country offices with ECE programming for children from birth to eight years.
· Develop, adapt, test, and refine ECE products based on needs of the project
· Lead the ECE team in the development of a pre-primary curriculum with teacher guide, daily lessons, formative assessment tools, and supplemental materials based on country experience and the global strategy.
· Use evidence to drive activity design and improvement and develop innovations.
· Monitor new developments in ECE and participate in promoting the application of best practices.
· Collaborate on the adaptation and implementation of the MELQO assessment tool and other appropriate early literacy assessment tools.
Eligibility: Zambian nationals are encouraged to apply.
This position is contingent on funding.
· Experience working in the education sector in Africa, particularly in Zambia is preferred
· Sound knowledge of USAID rules and regulations
· Proficiency in English is required
How to apply:
Please apply and submit your resume here: https://jobs-airdc.icims.com/jobs/10275/early-childhood-education-advisor%2c-zambia-read/job