Organization: American Institutes for Research
Closing date: 08 Feb 2018
AIR is a US-based not-for-profit company specializing in education programming, educational assessment, and other social policy issues. AIR’s International Development Program seeks to enhance the capacity of people in developing countries to improve their quality of life through education and social development. We have worked in collaboration with local and international stakeholders in more than 80 countries over the past three decades. We seek to ensure children’s equitable access to all levels of education; improve the quality and relevance of education; and empower individuals, communities, and institutions as agents of social and behavioral change.
AIR is seeking an M&E Director to work on an expected 5 year, USAID-funded “Let’s Read, Zambia” project. The purpose of the Activity is to target approximately 1.4 million students in 4,000 public and community primary schools, including Early Childhood Centers that are clustered in an estimated 400 zones in 48 districts in the provinces of Lusaka, Southern, Muchinga, Eastern, and Northwestern. The Activity will ensure that students attending Grades 1, 2, and 3 in Zambian public and community schools in five targeted provinces will have an opportunity to learn to read grade level text with comprehension and to write at grade level in one of the seven local official languages of instruction: Cinyanja, Chitonga, Icibemba, Kiikaonde, Lunda, Luvale and Silozi after three years of primary schooling in Grades 1-3.
The Monitoring & Evaluation Director will be responsible for ensuring robust performance monitoring and evaluation that supports the achievement of the program objectives.
Eligibility: Zambian nationals are encouraged to apply.
This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Develop and manage a monitoring and evaluation system across all program components, including review of indicators and development of monitoring activities that capture necessary data to report on results, ensure monitoring activities are conducted on schedule
- Communicate information obtained through M&E activities to AIR staff, various external stakeholders, notably donors and partners
- Be a primary M&E resource to the field office and field personnel; liaise regularly with AIR’s Monitoring and Evaluation team in headquarters
- Ensure data collection process is functioning in all activity locations to provide quality data within deadlines
- Regularly review data collection processes, perform data quality assessments, and make adjustments as needed
- Conduct regular visits to project sites to provide technical assistance and ensure proper monitoring of project activities
- Produce M&E monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports to Chief of Party and donors, as needed
- Develop annual performance plans
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in a senior M&E position responsible for implementing M&E activities of international development projects
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in statistics, demographics, public policy, international development, education, or related field; and an advanced certificate in M&E, statistics, or economics preferred
- Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating project M&E systems from project initiation to closeout stages
- Experience designing and managing beneficiary monitoring and database systems
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies
- Experience in planning and managing surveys
- Experience developing and refining data collection tools
- Experience with data quality assessments and oversight
- Experience managing and providing ongoing training to M&E field officers
- Ability to facilitate and serve as a project liaison for externally-managed evaluations
- Familiarity with the political, social, economic and cultural context of working in Zambia is also necessary
- Ability to communicate professionally and provide written reporting in English required
How to apply:
To Apply: Please apply and submit your resume here: https://jobs-airdc.icims.com/jobs/10294/monitoring-%26-evaluation-director—zambia-read/job