Organization: Build It International
Closing date: 01 Mar 2018
Overall Aim of Construction Manager & Trainer
To oversee our construction programme, emphasising training and support for our local site agents, to ensure works are completed on time, to budget and to the required standard following Build It’s processes and procedures. In 2018 we plan to complete two community schools and further works at our Centre for Excellence.
The job is voluntary with all expenses paid (accommodation, weekly living allowance, flight and insurance). It is based in Lusaka with travel to project sites within a half days drive of the city. The contract is for one year (negotiable).
Training and Support for Build It Site Agents
· Oversee internal professional development programme
· Deliver short training sessions and learning events
· Provide one- to-one support to Site Agents in managing their projects covering : design, budgets, site set-up, project delivery schedule, contractor management, Health and Safety, risk management.
Planning and Systems
· Lead the team in producing and implementing project delivery plans
· Select and appraise contractors and suppliers
· Ensure close co-ordination between Site Agents and our skills training programme
Management Responsibilities include:
· All site agents
· Procurement and logistics officer
· Compliance with building regulations / contractual obligations
· Co-ordinate with local external professional service providers
· Programme delivery, internal reporting and forecasting
· Health and Safety across the programme
· Risk monitoring
· Co-ordinate the continuing development of Build It guidelines on sustainable building
· Ensure construction is in line with Build It’s standard details book and as per recommendations of our Technical Advisory Group
· Ensure quality of construction is of high standard and quality control measures are in place and being used
● Reports to Country Director
● Line management of site agents and procurement/logistics officer
● Local professional service providers and clients/partners
The right person will be able to demonstrate:
· A strong affinity with our mission, values and approach
· Construction Operations experience – overseeing multiple building projects
· Direct experience of all key aspects of project management: budgeting, programming, contracts, site set-up and supervision, procurement, contract management
· A relevant professional qualification and technically competent
· At least 5 years professional experience
· Problem solver
· An interest and experience of supporting and developing less experienced colleagues
· IT literate – MS Office and MS Project
· Experience of working in sub-Saharan Africa an advantage but not essential
Build It International Values:
Our core activity is to train young men and women in construction skills so that they can go on to earn a living. One of the ways we deliver this is through our programme of community building construction projects that:
a. Train 20 men and women over a life of the project to the local TEVETA trades test level in bricklaying.
b. Promote sustainable building materials and design. We have developed our own designs to create simple, comfortable spaces for learning and maximise the use of local building materials.
c. Engage Communities where appropriate through local participation at all stages.
We have completed 41 projects, trained over 600 men and women in construction skills (with a 97% pass rate) and trained 10+ Site Agents.
How to apply:
We strongly advise contacting our UK office to discuss this position before applying by calling +44 1743 246317 or emailing the address below:
If you decide to proceed please:
· 400 word max cover email
· MAX Two page summary CV (resume)
· MAX Two page personal statement
· Email your application to email@example.com with CMT in the subject line.
· We will acknowledge safe receipt of your application.