Closing date: 30 Apr 2018
The Linkage and Adherence Advisor will provide technical leadership and project oversight in the areas of HIV program linkages, community-based care, and adherence support, for a United States government (USG)-funded community-based HIV program in Zambia. The project aims to reduce the number of new HIV infections and other sexually transmitted infections among members of the Zambian Defense Force, their families, and the civilian communities served by the Zambian Military through targeted, mobile HIV testing services and partner notification, linkage to treatment and prevention services, prevention activities for priority populations including Uniformed Service members and sex workers, prevention of mother-to-child HIV transmission, and support for adherence and viral suppression. The project will operate over a three year period.
Reportimg to the Program Director, the Advisor will provide oversight and management of the project’s efforts to ensure at least 90% of newly diagnosed HIV-positive clients are linked to and enrolled in treatment, track clients lost to follow-up and re-engage them in clinical care, provide community-based PMTCT, adherence, and support for viral suppression, and facilitate strong facility-community collaboration. The position will operate under the leadership of the Program Director and Jhpiego’s senior management team, and work closely with the global HIV, Malaria, and Infectious Disease team based in Baltimore, MD, USA. The position will oversee and ensure the technical and methodological soundness of all project activities. In collaboration with ZDF and USG, project team and other implementing partners, the position will support the design and implementation of HIV linkage, adherence, and viral suppression service delivery strategies based on scientific evidence, innovations, and best practices.
This position is contingent upon award from USG. Zambian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Ensure close collaboration and consultation with, and capacity building for ZDF and USG staff involved in project activities.
- Lead the formulation of innovative approaches for linking newly diagnosed HIV-positive persons with HIV care and treatment, re-engaging persons who have fallen out of care, strengthening community-facility partnerships, and community-based adherence and PMTCT support.
- Implement linkage case management model and community case management for HIV-positive military, their families, and civilians
- Provide technical oversight, strategic direction and definition of appropriate project activities leading to key outcomes.
- Establish, implement, and build capacity for a system to ensure technical quality of project activities
- Develop and/or update evidence-based training materials, quality standards, job aids, curricula, and other management systems needed for implementation of the project to meet the needs of USG, ZDF and the Government of Zambia
Provide training facilitation, mentoring, and capacity building at the individual and organizational level in specific areas of expertise including but not limited to:
HIV targeted testing strategies (e.g., partner notification, self-testing, network testing)
HIV prevention, care, and treatment, including interventions such as PrEP, VMMC, and ART
Establishment and implementation of linkage and referral systems between communities and facilities
Linkages between HTS and HIV prevention services, including VMMC, PrEP, and condoms
Linkages between HTS and HIV care and treatment services, including ART and support for adherence and retention
Integrated health services with HTS, including STI and TB screening, provision of FP, GBV prevention and referral for survivor care
Monitoring and evaluation of HTS, linkage, re-engagement, and community-based adherence support and prevention strategies
Strengthemn facility-comunity linkages through engagement with CSOs, community health workers (CHWs), administrative community structures, and ZDF organizational structures.
Conduct mapping exercises to identify referral services, including health facilities, social support services, nutritional support services and religious or other counseling/support.
Support follow-ups and supportive supervision to community health workers and other project staff
Strengthen quality improvement (QI) for HIV case management;; improve adherence and retention in HIV care and treatment, improve PMTCT outcomes and care seeking behaviors; and improve HIV data reporting and use
Participate in demand generation, community-buy in and ownership, advocacy and policy support, across project sites as required
Actively participate in relevant technical advisory/working groups and professional forums representing Jhpiego
Work with ZDF and project staff to identify issues that impede linkage to care, uptake of HIV services, and adherence and retention among the target populations.
Work closely with the Program Director on setting project priorities and directions, and responding to requests for support from ZDF and other local counterparts
Work with M&E and other technical staff to design and implement a plan for monitoring project data and making course corrections as indicated.
Work with project staff to monitor progress to project targets and ensure required targets are met on time.
Collaborate with ZDF, USG, MOH, and other local stakeholders and implementing partners to coordinate activities, reduce duplication, and ensure implementation according to quality standards.
Document successes, lessons learned, and challenges in implementation through routine monthly, quarterly and/or annual reports to Jhpiego and the donor, and other reporting requirements as requested
Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches for strengthening community-facility linkages and community-based adherence and retention support, including PMTCT.
Ensure project has required ethical clearances for routine program evaluation, including Jhpiego, USG, and local/in-country clearances, as needed.
Author/co-author abstracts, presentations, and articles for journals and conferences, as needed
Manage, mentor, and provide leadership for technical project staff, including monitoring performance to established targets and making course corrections as needed.
Manage technical contributions of subgrantees, including defining scopes of work, providing mentorship and technical guidance, and monitoring performance to established targets and making course corrections as needed.
Maintain excellent relationships with ZDF, USG, MOH, and other in-country stakeholders
- Advanced (Masters minimum) degree in public health, international health or an advanced clinical degree in nursing, medicine, or related field.
- At least 5 years’ experience implementing and/or providing technical assistance in HIV prevention, testing, care and treatment
- At least 5 years’ experience in implementing and/or providing technical assistance of $5M per year in donor-funded projects and in the design and implementation of overseas health projects; preferably in the Zambia
- Demonstrated experience training clinical and community-based healthcare workers on HIV prevention, testing, care and treatment
- Demonstrated experience providing capacity building assistance at individual and organizational levels
- Skilled in at least two or more of the following technical areas: HIV care and treatment, HIV testing and counseling, quality improvement for HIV programs; monitoring and evaluation for HIV programs.
- Demonstrated experience implementing, building capacity, and/or managing HIV programs, including facilitating community-facility linkages, community-based adherence and PMTCT support, HIV prevention, care, or treatment.
- Experience with electronic medical records, data collection, and/or reporting tools, such as CommCare, SmartCare, or others.
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the ZDF’s organizational structure and Zambian healthcare system, particularly the public health system,
- Experience living and working in Zambia preferred
- Familiarity with ZDF and USG’s administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USG, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 suite
- Ability to travel nationally to project sites up to 50%, as needed
How to apply: