Organization: Build It International
Closing date: 08 Oct 2018
This is an exciting opportunity to join Build it International, a UK/Zambian NGO and be a key part of our mission to create opportunities for young people and their communities through skills training, work experience and essential community building projects. Our core values are Empowerment, Excellence, Collaboration and Courage.
We have completed 41 building projects over the past 10 years, including primary and secondary schools, health facilities and training centres. All projects include on-the-job training which so far means we have trained over 700 men and women in construction skills. We aim to increase this annual output significantly over the next four years.
About the role:
Working as a member of our Zambia Senior Management team, you will be overseeing our construction programme, managing and providing training and support for our local site agents to ensure works are completed on time, to budget and to a high standard. On occasions, you may be asked to deputise for our Country Director. Each year we complete 3- 5 projects so you will need to bring your wealth of construction experience to guide this portfolio of projects to fruition.
You will be based in the city of Lusaka with travel to project sites anywhere in Zambia. Initially offered on a two-year basis, this is an interesting and involved role with the possibility of extension if you enjoy your time with us.
Of course your role will be varied but typically you will be responsible for:
Construction Programme Planning and Delivery
· Overall planning of construction activities
· Development and implementation of Health and Safety policies
· Production and implementation of project delivery plans
· Selection and appraisal of contractors and suppliers
· Ensure co-ordination between Site Agents and skills training programme
Training Build’s It Site Agents
· Overseeing the internal professional development programme
· Deliver short training sessions and learning events
· Provide one- to-one support to Site Agents in managing their projects covering: design, budgets, site set-up, project delivery schedule, contractor management, Health and Safety compliance, risk management.
· Co-ordinate the continuing development of Build It guidelines on sustainable building through our Technical Advisory Group (TAG)
· Ensure construction is in line with Build It’s standard details book & other guidelines
· Ensure quality of construction is of high standard
Management Responsibilities include:
· All site agents
· Procurement and logistics officer
· Compliance with building regulations / contractual obligations
· Programme delivery reporting including financial forecasting
· Management of the Centre for Excellence facility
● Reporting to Country Director
● Other Zambia SMT members
● Line management of site agents and procurement/logistics officer
● Local professional service providers and clients/partners
● TAG advisory group
Ideally you will come from a Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or related background and will be able to demonstrate:
· A strong affinity with our mission, values and approach
· Construction Operations experience – overseeing multiple building projects
· *Direct experience of all key aspects of project management: budgeting, programming, contracts, site set-up and supervision, procurement, contract managemen*t
· A relevant professional qualification and technically competent
· Solid professional experience and confidence in your skills
· Experience of mentoring and training junior construction management professionals and a desire to continue to do so
· Commercial acumen
· Ability to communicate effectively to partners and visitors
· Experience of working in sub-Saharan Africa an advantage but not essential
Competitive remuneration + benefits
Please visit our website: https://www.builditinternational.org
How to apply:
Please send a MAX two-page CV (resume) and brief (under 400 words) cover email, quoting “**CMT**” in the subject line to email@example.com by 8th October.
We will acknowledge safe receipt of your application.